Bichon Frise Club of America DNA Clinic ‘ DNA Swab Collection
Follow these steps to submit DNA from your Bichons Frises to the CHIC DNA Repository::
- Obtain the DNA samples when you are at home, and submit with the forms attached to OFA by the end of May 2008.
- The owner completes the DNA bank application form and the health survey.
- Twirl one swab on the inside of the cheek for 10 seconds to collect mucosal cells.
- Repeat this process for the other 4 swabs.
- Allow the 5 swabs to air-dry for at least 10 seconds.
- Replace the 5 swabs in the original packages. Do not seal the package in any way. Write the registered name and AKC # of the dog on the package of each swab or attach a label.
- Place the completed application form, health survey, and 5 swabs in labeled packages in a paper envelope and send via regular mail to:
CHIC DNA Repository
2300 E Nifong Blvd
Columbia, MO 65201-3806
- Do not seal any swab packages and do not place any swabs or envelopes in plastic bags, to prevent exposure to moisture, which can destroy DNA.
- The OFA enters the dog information into the database creating a DNA sample record for that dog.
- The OFA records the health history of the dog.
- The OFA issues a certificate to the owner stating that a sample has been recorded in the CHIC DNA Repository and will be made available to the research community.
- The DNA will be linked to a pedigree and an ongoing health history of the dog, updateable online over the lifetime of the dog by the owner, and remains anonymous.
For more information, please contact:
Orthopedic Foundation for Animals
2300 E Nifong Blvd.Columbia, MO 65201